WASHINGTON, January 23, 2023 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — TODAY, National Cyber Security Alliance (NCA)announced the program for this year’s Data Privacy Week campaign, which runs from January 22nd to January 28th. After expanding Data Privacy Day into his one-week initiative for the first time last year, Data Privacy Week continues to raise awareness of the importance of digital privacy to consumers and businesses. His 2023 theme for the campaign focuses on enhancing consumer knowledge about personal data protection while addressing corporate responsibility for ethical user privacy and data collection practices.
“Data Privacy Week aims to give consumers the tools they need to take ownership of their digital identities and to remind them to think critically about who they share their data with and how they protect it. It’s important,” said NCA Executive Director Lisa Plaggemeier. “It is also a platform that highlights why businesses must maintain a gold standard of respect and transparency regarding how they collect, store and use consumer data, and the benefits of doing so.”
This year’s Data Privacy Week microsoft (platinum sponsor) and optic (Silver Sponsor) and focuses on content around the following themes:
- Theme #1: Data: Your Story – All online activity generates a data trail. Websites, apps, and services collect data about your behavior, interests, and purchases. This may include personal data such as social security numbers and driver’s license numbers. It can also include physical data, such as health data. For example, think about how smartwatches count and record your steps. It’s true that you can’t control how each byte of data about you and your family is shared and processed, but you’re not powerless! In many cases, sharing data can be done in a few simple steps. You can control how. Remember, your data is valuable and you should choose carefully who you share it with!
- Theme #2: For Organizations: Respect for Privacy: Respecting the privacy of our customers, staff, and all other stakeholders is critical to building trust and enhancing our reputation.by Pew Research Center, 79% of US adults report being concerned about how their data is being used by companies. Being open about how your data is used and respecting your privacy will help you stand out from the competition.
In addition to its collection of educational materials for general consumers, NCA hosts a series of events featuring privacy experts, policy makers and engineers to promote the campaign’s central themes. These include:
- Data: Your Story – On January 24, 2023 at 12:00 PM ET, experts will discuss best practices for securing data trails relating to individual users and their families.You can find more information about this event here
- Data Privacy Week #PrivacyChat – On January 25, 2023 at 2:00 PM ET, users will be able to access the NCA (@StaySafeOnline) Twitter chat to share important tips, advice, resources for consumers and businesses, and more. Connect with data privacy and security advocates at and an educator.You can find more information about this event here
- Designing a privacy-first world – At 2:00 PM ET on January 26, 2023, experts will meet to discuss why data privacy is becoming a more important issue each year and why the concept should be a key design element in products. Discuss why you shouldn’t. Business or society with data privacy in mind.You can find more information about this event here.
Julie Brill, Microsoft Chief Privacy Officer and Corporate Vice President, said: “We believe that to realize the great benefits of technology, organizations and governments must use data responsibly and recognize privacy as a fundamental human right. , protecting privacy has never been more important to the long-term success of any organization, including Microsoft.”
Data Privacy Week builds on the success of Data Privacy Day, which began in the United States and Canada in January 2008 as an extension of European Data Protection Day. Data Protection Day marks the signing on January 28, 1981 of Convention No. 108, the first legally binding international treaty dealing with privacy and data protection.
To become a Champion of Data Privacy Week, visit www.dataprivacyweek.com. https://staysafeonline.org/programs/data-privacy-week/champion/
For more information on NCA’s Data Privacy Week, please visit: https://staysafeonline.org/programs/data-privacy-week/
About the National Cybersecurity Alliance
The National Cybersecurity Alliance is a non-profit organization with a mission to build a more secure and interconnected world. We advocate the safe use of all technology and educate everyone on how best to protect themselves, their families and their organizations from cybercrime. We build strong partnerships between governments and businesses to amplify our message and foster greater ‘digital’ goods. Major initiatives of the National Cybersecurity Alliance include Cybersecurity Awareness Month (October). Data Privacy Week (January 22-28). CyberSecure My Business™ also offers webinars, web resources, and workshops to help businesses resist and recover from cyberattacks. For more information, see: https://staysafeonline.org.