To get a roundup of TechCrunch’s biggest and most important stories delivered to your inbox every day at 3pm PDT, subscribe here.
Welcome to our daily digest of what makes TechCrunch great. Because it’s my last day with you (you’re welcome!) Christine I will be back in my seat for the daily lunch on Tuesday. Haje He’s headed to Vegas as part of the team covering CES and won’t be back yet. Speaking of CES, Brian We’ve kicked off what we can expect from the first full-scale production from before COVID.
Goodbye everyone. Happy New Year. — Henry
at the top
- Into the Matrix: No, it’s not That matrix. We’re talking here about an open standards-based communication protocol called Matrix. Pole went deep. That network has doubled in size, thanks in part to increased use by businesses and governments. I’ve also tried Reddit and experimented with the chat feature.
- for fusion: Tim We looked at five startups looking to benefit from recent breakthroughs in fusion. [TC+]
- Alt-ChatGPT: In response to OpenAI’s response to ChatGPT, an open source equivalent has emerged. It’s called PaLM + RLHF (rolls right off the tongue, right?), but Kyle I am writing that I have not been trained in advance. That means good luck doing it.
- meta eyes have it: Amanda Meta writes that it is looking to enter the eyewear business with the acquisition of Dutch-based smart eyewear company Luxexcel.
- book tracking: Aisha Once the clock strikes 2023, we’ve put together a list of five apps you can use to keep track of all the reading you’re about to do.
- Netflix vs Hulu: Perhaps they’ve decided to drop a streaming service or two from their lineup in light of the ongoing price increases. Lauren We looked at the features of Netflix and Hulu to help you make your decision.
What to look for in a term sheet as a first-time founder
Silicon Valley reporter Connie Loizos interviewed three experienced VCs for their best advice for novice entrepreneurs. she asked them:
- Why should I know what the term sheet is about before I can look at the term sheet?
- Which mechanism is the best to use first?
- How much equity is distributed at each level of early stage funding?
- What are the term sheet red flags?
- How should founders think about valuations when it comes to the initial term sheet?
TechCrunch+ is a membership program that keeps founders and startup teams a step ahead. You can sign up hereUse code ‘DC’ and get 15% off your annual subscription!
looking back and looking ahead
We’ve rounded up a year of TC+ venture capital stories that unfortunately saw a lot of downfall. And here are some favorites:
Indian start-ups were cash-rich with record investments. now, mannish The ecosystem has suffered from funding tightening, layoffs and disappointing public debuts.