There was only one answer to the question, “What is the most powerful mobile?” For years: The latest iPhone. Apple raises the bar every year by creating its own chips, leaving Android makers far behind.
In most cases, Qualcomm is to blame. It’s clear that manufacturers chose to take it easy and opt for incremental upgrades rather than the revolution the sector desperately needed. So it’s only fitting that Qualcomm put an end to this scenario.
Android smartphones benefit from the power of the new Snapdragon
Thanks to the new Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 introduced last November, it looks like the top Android phone will finally be as powerful as the latest iPhone models. The first smartphone to do it is on the market, and the initial reviews are excellent.
According to tests carried out on Xiaomi 13 @golden reviewer Posted on Twitter, the new Qualcomm processor is a huge improvement over the Snapdragon 8 Gen 1 and Snapdragon 8+ Gen 1 chips, with efficiency gains in several areas.
Of course, you might worry that this would result in shorter battery life and more heat generated by the processor, but research shows that the Snapdragon 8 Gen 2’s most powerful core is 10% more powerful. However, it was found to operate at a rate equivalent to that. 8+ Gen 1’s
The most serious criticism given to Qualcomm is that it seems to focus primarily on improving its four “big cores” that are activated when high performance is needed, such as demanding applications and video games. . The efficient core remains largely unchanged from the previous generation.
Giztina news of the week
But the key factor, as Max Weinbach stresses, is that this power bump puts Apple’s latest chip within easy reach. The Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 matches the Apple A16 found in the iPhone 14 Pro in terms of GPU performance, so games should run very smoothly. CPU performance is almost the same.
The fact that the future looks promising may be the best development. Apple is rumored to be changing its strategy with its next-generation iPhones, emphasizing efficiency over power, and Qualcomm, a chipmaker formed by former Apple employees that it acquired in early 2021, is his Nuvia dominates. future chips. So it wouldn’t be surprising if Android phones soon surpassed iPhones in terms of power.
Qualcomm Snapdragon 8 Gen 2 (SM8550) Specifications
- 1 x Kryo Prime CPU (Arm Cortex-X3 based) up to 3.2 GHz, 4 x Kryo Performance CPUs (2 x Arm Cortex-A715 and 2 x Arm Cortex-A710 based) up to 2.8 GHz, 3 x Kryo Efficiency CPUs ( Arm Cortex-A510 based), up to 2 GHz, ARMv9 architecture
- 4nm process technology
- Built-in Qualcomm Snapdragon X70 5G modem RF system
- 5G speeds up to 10Gpbs down, 5G mmWave and sub 6 GHz, standalone (SA) and non-standalone (NSA) modes. MmWave: 1000 MHz bandwidth, 8 carriers, 2×2 MIMO, sub 6 GHz.
- Qualcomm Adreno Next Generation GPU, Vulkan 1.3 API Support, HDR Gaming (10-bit Color Depth, Rec. 2020 Color Gamut), API Support: OpenGL ES 3.2, OpenCL 2.0 FP, Vulkan 1.3, Real-Time Hardware Accelerated Ray Tracing
- Up to 36 MP triple camera, up to 64+36 MP dual camera, single camera with up to 108 MP ZSL. Single camera up to 200MP, Qualcomm Spectra Image Sensor Processor (Cognitive 18-bit triple ISP)
- Rec. 2020 color gamut photo and video capture, up to 10-bit color depth photo and video capture. 8K HDR video capture + 64 MP photo capture
- On-device display support: 4K at 60 Hz / QHD+ at 144 Hz, up to external display support.Up to 4K @ 60 Hz, 10-bit color depth, Rec. 2020 color gamut, HDR10 and HDR10+, Demura and sub-pixel rendering for OLED uniformity
- Qualcomm Hexagon Processor, Fused AI Accelerator, Hexagon Tensor Accelerator, Hexagon Vector eXtensions, Hexagon Scalar Accelerator.Mixed precision (INT8+INT16) support, all precision (INT4, INT8, INT16, FP16) support, micro-tile inference
- Supports LP-DDR5x memory up to 4200 MHz
- Wi-Fi 7 Peak Speed: 5.8 Gbps, Wi-Fi 6E, 802.11ax (Wi-Fi 6) Multi-Gigabit, Integrated 802.11ac 2×2 (2 streams) MU-MIMO, 2.4 GHz, 5 GHz and 6 GHz, Bluetooth 5.3, LE audio, dual Bluetooth antennas
- Bluetooth Audio: Qualcomm aptX Voice, aptX Lossless, aptX Adaptive, LE Audio, Snapdragon Sound Technology with NFC support
- GPS, Glonass, BeiDou, Galileo, QZSS, NavIC capable, dual frequency GNSS (L1/L5), sensor assisted positioning.Urban pedestrian navigation with sidewalk accuracy, global highway lane-level vehicle navigation
- USB 4.0, USB-C
- Qualcomm Quick Charge 5 technology