Today’s cyber threat landscape is constantly expanding and evolving. Moreover, attackers’ attack tactics are becoming increasingly complex and difficult to detect. It can be difficult to keep track of all the new technologies your organization is adopting, how, where they are used, who is using them, and whether they are critical to your operations.
Without an understanding of all these components, it is difficult, if not impossible, to properly secure your organization and meet all compliance and regulatory requirements.
where do i start? Before you get bogged down in inventorying your assets and looking for vulnerabilities and other security issues, take a closer look at today’s threat landscape and what it means for your organization. Here are six reasons why today’s cybersecurity landscape is so complex.
- The pandemic has changed the way we work. Lockdowns and social distancing have forever changed how many organizations once thought about the onsite work required. As such, many companies have had to rapidly adopt new technologies to support their mobile workforce as a determining factor in cybersecurity and compliance for their organizations. Today, with more technologies, more cloud-based and his SaaS-based solutions and services, there are more opportunities to discover weaknesses and vulnerabilities that attackers may have overlooked.
- Working from home doesn’t mean employees are doing homework on cybersecurity. many wOrderer moved from office to home offices During the pandemic, many companies have decided to move forward with fully remote or hybrid teams.While there are many advantages, there are also increasesEd Danger.During the move pThe art of manipulating from the field to public spaces such as homes and coffee shops makes it very difficult to keep track of what everyone is doing. Are they using approved devices? Is their network secure? Do they understand and are they properly educated and trained?—Best practices for cyber hygiene? If No, More risk here means more headaches for security and compliance teams.
- More threat actors focused on you. In the past, many small and medium-sized organizations felt they had a low risk of cyber incidents and breaches, largely based on their size. The idea was, why follow me when there is a bigger organization out there. But if there’s one thing we’ve learned from the rise of ransomware, phishing, and social engineering attacks, it’s that every organization of every size in every industry is at risk. If you have sensitive data on your network, attackers are more likely to focus on you.
- Other regulations and requirements. Security and compliance requirements for organizations are increasing. There are now more industry-specific controls and requirements. In the United States, more states are adopting privacy and security standards. Even the federal government is changing the way it approaches cyber incidents and events. Overseas, regulations such as the EU’s GDPR requirements are spreading around the world. As the number and variety of regulations increase, Managing them all and meeting all the necessary standards and expectations is becoming more and more complex.
- longer supply chain. Traditionally, when we talk about the supply chain it has been in terms of products and commodities. Supply chains are also virtualized and highly connected. Even if an organization works directly with one vendor for one of his services, that vendor may contract with many other vendors to develop products that provide that service.the longer the supply chain teeththe risk increases.
- Geopolitical issues and increasing weather–Related eventAcross the world, a huge number of geopolitical events occur that have far-reaching implications beyond any specific location. The conflict in Ukraine, for example, has adversely affected fuel supplies for the UK and others, driving up prices and forcing governments to rethink how they receive and deliver vital services. Additionally, the number of disruptive weather-related events is increasing, and many organizations are often experiencing multiple disruptions at once. The more these events occur, the more far-reaching their impact, the more risk they pose, and the more they add a new level of challenge to cyber and compliance professionals.
Follow 12 Days of Cybersecurity on LinkedIn. Learn more about how Apptega simplifies day-to-day cybersecurity and compliance management and schedules custom tours of the Apptega platform.
*** This is a Security Bloggers Network syndicated blog of the Apptega blog created by the Cyber Insights Team. Read the original post: https://www.apptega.com/blog/6-reasons-why-todays-cybersecurity-landscape-is-so-complex